Re: [FWDLK] STARTER MOTOR OPERATION QUESTION

Re: [FWDLK] STARTER MOTOR OPERATION QUESTION

Ed:

     This may help answer your question about the starter motor remaining engaged with the flywheel.

     I recently bought a NOS starter bendix for my 56 Fury.  When I took it out of the box, I spirled it to its fully open position.  It remained stuck there, and I had to take it to a machine shop for them to dismantle and return to its closed position.  They put a wire on it so I wouldn't do such a dumb thing again.

     Anyway, the mechanic and I conclude that centrifigal force of the flywheel spinning the bendix gear is what returns it to the closed position.  The ratchet cogs keep it open and engaged, but spinniing the bendix forces the cogs to the outside and the spring closes the bendix.

     So, since you didn't start your engine, it is possible that the bendix gear is stuck until your engine starts.  I think it would be a real pain in the butt to try to take the starter apart with the bendix in the extended position.  I would leave it until you are ready to start the engine to see what happens.

     John Teske