Re: [FWDLK] Brake fluid

Dot 3 is pretty much obsolete these days, dot 4 is lots better. Dot 5 is silicone based and isn't compatible with 3 & 4, it will turn into gel if you don't remove all traces of the other fluid in the system first. It isn't hygroscopic, doesn't absorb water, any water in the system will settle out in the lowermost part of the wheel cylinders, it should be drained and flushed annually to keep corrosion at bay. It aerates more easily than the other kind, more care is needed to get the air bled out of the system. On the other hand, it won't eat up paint like regular brake fluid if it gets spilled on it. Dot 5.1 is regular type fluid, not silicone based, it's thinner viscosity for use in newer anti-lock brake systems.

Mike