Re: [FWDLK] Oil pump priming

Anthony

Run your drill CW. I would not be concerned with priming pump or filter. You
are not turning the motor over, only forcing oil to filter, oil galleries
and to all bearing surfaces. The rockers are the biggest challenge. Rockers
are oiled each 360 degrees of the cam rotation. Continuous oiling, like
crank and rod bearings would over oil the top end of motor. Therefore, you
will need to rotate crank a few degrees at a time (while you are priming),
until you see oil flowing around the rockers.
I primed a 392 one time. Although Dick Landy's shop assemble the short
block, I wanted to see oil at the rockers. I primed and rotated crank a
little at a time and never saw oil. I finally had to pull the cam out to see
the oiling holes. I indexed the cam with the oil holes facing up to each
head.
I saw lots of oil then.
Maybe some one knows the degrees from TDC the cam oils the rockers. Maybe it
is at TDC. I did not have the damper on my motor when priming.

Thank you,
Gary, the parts doc
Reno, Nevada 89521 USA
The Biggest Little City In The World