From: "Mike & Sharon Higgins" <clearcreek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 5:40:42 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Rear axle seal

The bearing is not a pre-lubed sealed unit, it is similar to the front wheel bearings.  Usually, it is  the outer seal that might cause problems, but your excessive leakage of oily fluids onto the brakes indicates that it was rear axle lube that leaked.  There is not enough grease in the bearing area to create a problem noticeable enough to have to stop and change the seal. It came through both seals from the rear axle, and can only get out if both seals let it.  It is likely in this case that your bearing is shot, and the excessive play caused the seals to leak.  There is not necessarily a lot of noise from the bearing, it has just worn down, still smooth, but should be replaced.
You mentioned that the brakes showed oil contamination, and although I have treated good brake shoes with the older, Red Can Brakleen,  if the oil has soaked in, you should probably replace both sides when you clean up the mess.

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe