Re: [FWDLK] OK, WTF is this?

I also know the factories back then could make true customs.

When I was a kid in the 60s, I prided myself on being able to recognize any car on the road, most even at night just by the head and tail lights.  It became one of my obsessions.  I was completely confounded, however, by a car that lived a few blocks down the street.  I knew it looked like a 59 Mercury, but something was not right about it.  A few years later, when I got a paper route, that house was one of my customers.  The car, I found out, belonged to the grandfather who lived with his son and their family.  I caught him outside one day and asked about the car.  He proudly told me that he had worked for Ford Motor Company for over 40 years, and that his retirement gift from the company was a custom special – anything he wanted from the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln line, as many parts were interchangeable among the various models.  He had a Merc with a Lincoln front end, and a unique mixture of part swaps built just for him, to his specs, from the factory.  No, I didn’t  see a build sheet, but took this man at his word.  The car was too unique for any other explanation!

Don Sears