I cannot recommend American Auto Equipment. Their welding quality control is very poor. Their shipping logistics are atrocious. It took over three months to get my lift - countless phone calls - innumerable excuses. Finally got it last week. Packing, if you want to call it that, was a joke - thin bubble wrap around heavy steel parts, which jostled around in transit, significantly scraping paint on ALL parts. I photographed all and have made claim with AAE. From other stories on web, I expect little from them in terms of resolution. Wish I'd investigated more before choosing AAE. You get what you pay for. BendPack looks like a better bet.

Dan Davids
Seattle

On May 6, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Bob Moore <GTA351C@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of my buddies talked me into the asymmetrical 2-post from bendpak, works great!  (Went with a ~14’ ceiling and 12’ roll up doors to get the wife’s RV in as well!)

-Bob

http://www.bendpak.com/best-car-lift-guide/lift-style-comparison/

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Parker
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:54 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Home four-post lifts?

My experience mirrors that of Ray just about exactly.  I did have a buddy help me install my two post lift which came from "Team Lift" in Texas.  (in return, the first job done on the lift was a transmission change for him) They didn't have a website then but were listing on eBay and I bought that way.  No idea if they are still in business, I bought about 8 years ago.  I had it shipped to a buddy's body shop to save charges (much cheaper to a business with a fork lift), then offloaded from my trailer with a cherry picker, after cutting the bands and separating the big pieces to handle individually.  They sent the "low ceiling" version by mistake and a call got me the right parts (top connector rail etc) in less than a week, they told me to keep the other stuff too rather than them paying to ship it back.  All of the companies offer both 2 post and 4 post.  My pole barn was a 12 footer in height which really translated into about 11' 6" clearance,  but like Ray, I removed the bottom chord on a truss and braced everything up (I had a construction company at that time and was able to enlist the advice of a truss manufacturer's rep to make sure I did it safely.)  This provided the space to install the "open floor" type of lift, I didn't want the "low ceiling" type if I could help it because that involves a ramped metal hump across the floor for the hose and cable to run in, which inhibits movement of under-lift stuff like oil drain etc.  The roof of the vehicle raises up into the open space where the chord was raised.  But you probably don't care about any of this since you are wanting a 4 poster.  What I've heard about four post lifts is that if you are going to do any tire or brake work you gotta buy at least one of the sliding jacks that raise the car off the ramps.  Also, a friend of mine is a transmission tech and told me that one of his shop's lifts is a four poster, and it eats up his elbows and funny bones if he tries to do a tranny change on that one.  On the positive side, which a four poster, there's no installation involved except a power cord (unless you want to install it permanently). Either will let you raise one car on it and park another underneath if that's your intent.  The 2 post jobs are cheaper.  Most all the companies offer attachments which allow you to roll the whole thing around on a level smooth floor when it is in the down position, I think that would be real handy.  On my two poster, I've had the '65 Imperial on it many times, solid as a rock with that 5173 pounds advertised curb weight, and also had my old W200 and now my Ram 2500 on it several times too with no issues at all.  I installed on my 5" 4500 pound floor (When I built the barn I knew some day I'd be putting a lift in) but the specs from the company were 2.5" of 2500 pound test, which is going to cover pretty much any garage floor or outdoor pad any responsible concrete finisher would consider installing.  But on my floor I feel completely safe banging around on the big boats, prying a trans out, etc.  My only regret:  not spending the $200 more to get the "asymmetrical" arms, which gives more versatility in positioning the car and letting you open the door to climb in and out without hitting the post with it.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana...'49 Plymouth 2 door; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340