Re: [FWDLK] Needed: 57 Dual Point Distributor Vacuum Advance

Re: [FWDLK] Needed: 57 Dual Point Distributor Vacuum Advance

Dan,

My Parts Book lists 3 different distributors for 57 D500, depending on engine S/N. The AutoLite IBK-4301A is the early version and is the same as the 56 D500.

For vacuum advance diaphragm 1439671, after market replacements are:
AutoLite  6-15  or IAZ-2023 RA     (AutoLite is the OEM)
Shurhit (Borg Warner)  V-118
Vulcan  V-205
Ignition Parts  VC55
Remy  A-1312

You will need to remove the end cap from your old diaphragm and transfer the spring, shims, gasket, and end cap to the new one.

Your vacuum advance has 23 degrees of engine advance. Make sure you get the right version, since these Mopars had a range from 8 to 30 degrees. Too little and your engine will be retarded at cruise. Too much and you will be over-advanced, resulting in engine damage.

Verify you have the correct unit by reading the number stamped on the arm. These numbers are in distributor degrees, which is half the engine degrees. For yours, the number should be 11.5.
Most vendors only look up the application by year. They will tell you it fits 57 Dodge V8. But typically not whether that is a Poly 2 bbl or 4 bbl, or one of 3 D500 distributors. If in doubt, ask them for the number on the arm.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500