From: Archangel1390@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 12:34:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 57 Custom Royal Lancer D500 badging

Dave,

    Yep, now you got it right. Of all the changes to make a Mopar run faster I have found the rear end ratio makes the biggest difference. The 56 Plymouth  Fury came through with a 373 rear end. All  the Touqueflite automatic 57 and 58 Fury's and D-500's came through with  336 ratios which I feel worked against the Touqueflite 3 speed gear advantage. I feel Chryslers big mistake by not putting a 373  or 391 rear end ratio in the 57 / 58 as the stock rear end since they were advertised as performance cars.

General Motors sold 4:11 rear gears like they were going out of style those GM cars really .performed. Chrysler products eventually went to a 354 rear gears in the 70's as their performance rear end.

The disadvantage of the higher geared rear ends is highway driving  RPM's are higher so you tend to keep your driving speed under 65 MPH. To offset the higher RPM's we ran the biggest and tallest tires would could find for the highway to bring the RPM's down a little.

     Ron

PS. Did you know in 1957 the fastest car that did 0 to 60 MPH in 7.5 seconds was the Rambler Rebel and that model only came through with a 411 rear end STOCK.