RE: [Chrysler300] 300 F axle ratios.

Thanks, John:

The desired result of highest average force x time = best change in linear
momentum (highest velocity).  Rockets (not including Oldsmobile?s) and
aircraft don?t depend on a key factor we earth-bound drivers must consider
which is traction.  The low e.t.?s and high speeds in short distance with
earth-bound vehicles is only achieved by adhesion of the tires to the track
surface.  A theoretical-best coefficient of friction between tire and
surface cannot produce the high speeds and low e.t.?s that we see.

Stick-shift cars used to have a significant advantage over any
automatic-transmission car due to horsepower loss.  More efficient tranny?s
with lockup torque converters and quick & accurate shifts seem to have
minimized that advantage.  Carl K. knew this and demanded the stick-shift be
put into the 300-B.  Supposedly, he even got one cobbled-up Dodge truck
tranny in a ?55.  I understand only a few sticks (6?) made it into civilian
cars but wonder how many Carl got for his team early enough for the ?56
racing season.  I do recall that many of GM?s and Ford?s raceable models in
the mid-50?s had stick shifts available and Carl did not like them beating
his 300?s out of the pits.  Prior to the hemi invasion, the stick-shift
Hudson?s with the 308 CID dual-carbed flathead sixes dominated.  Sometimes
it took Carl?s cars clear to the first turn to catch up (significant change
in linear momentum in a short time).

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA