Re: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do

I'm in Mass too and my K came with no paperwork.  I just had a friend in New Hampshire register it.  No sales tax, no insurance.   When I am ready to register it, or more accurately,  it is ready to be registered, I will just buy back it from her. Mass will accept just a registration on a car that old and issue a title.   Maine changed their laws and now require titles for anything newer than '97 but anything before that is a snap to register. You do have to show it is insured and pay a sales tax, but they have no idea on values and you can tell them a letter car was $800 and they will accept it. 

Russ Vaughan


On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM, 'John Grady' jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In some states,  you do not even need a sales tax. They do not have one.


Only motive in all this is revenue gain to state ; aka collect taxes. . Zero motive or thought about title implications that would bother us, as collectors ---it is all about sales tax and penalties. Yet they call themselves RMV, Which is about stolen cars.


They kill you in Mass, add sales tax , BIG penalties,  compounded,  can get to 15-20k on a 300f not titled for 25 years. They use today’s value (!!!!) out of a book,  and not paid for that long (only in Taxachusetts) You simply did not need a title then in Mass; but there was a sales tax you paid,  happened when registering it, not a separate transaction. I thought of it as another line item when you register your car, like proof of insurance . Everybody did.  . I stored it. So inadvertently did not pay a reasonable sales tax at the time.. couple of hundred? No discount for a rusted out parts car vs perfect car on “value” ==”Pay max first” , then argue. . Appealed formally with photos, rusted out car with broken windows, and lost,  on that issue. No time or $ for lawyers. So, No title …on a car I legitimately bought and own. Aggravation and “attitude” abound , all around this issue. 2 hour wait at RMV to then be straight-armed. Some cars I bought had old titles, so can resell, but not register. Get a title!! For tax reasons, not title reasons.


Some of this paraphrasing  experience , not an expert.


Some guy in Alabama does it for a fee, 1500 (?) comes to mind for Alabama title. But I agree on this one ---if a dealer, he CAN get a title on a legitimate car. Watch out,  stolen or totaled out flood car.


From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Kuegel jwkco@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:24 AM
To: David Schwandt; 'David Schwandt' finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]; antonino.jelitro@xxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do


It's easy in New York State for a car made before 1975(before titles were issued)...and may be as well in other states. All you used to need was a handwritten bill of sale, a rubbing or photo of the VIN plate, a weight verification(if the vehicle model was not in the DMV database- like a truck which you would take and get weighed at a scale)  and some forms filled out. They will then issue a non-transferable registration immediately after you pay the sales tax (the most important thing that they are interested in!)and send you a transferable registration(which functions as a Title) in 30-60 days when the transfer of ownership and research of prior ownership is complete (lien search, etc.).

Good luck,

John Kuegel, 300F 



On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:03 AM, 'David Schwandt' finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]


You should be able to have your DOMV do a lost title search.

The guy you bought the car from should foot the bill, if any, for this unless you bought the car s salvage, in which case the original

title is probably history. There are probably rules and regs about selling a vehicle w/o proper title.

I know, here in Iowa at least, you need the title in order to deliver a car to a crusher or junk yard.

Good uck!

You are probably gonna need it, depending which state you are in.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of antonino.jelitro@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:03 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do

Hello Group
I purchased a 67 New Yorker fasttop in very nice condition, but there is no title or registration. Car had always been in the hand of a car dealer, so it was used on dealer plates. Or so is what I have been told.The seller will write me a notarized bill of sale. How can I get a title? I know it's a PITA....but really like the car and would go to the extra effort to get plates for the car. Thank you

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Posted by: Russell Vaughan <russ300@xxxxxxxxx>

To send a message to this group, send an email to:

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
go to

For list server instructions, go to

For archives go to

Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups
PrivacyUnsubscribeTerms of Use


Home Back to the Home of the Forward Look Network Archive Sitemap