RE: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do

In some states,  you do not even need a sales tax. They do not have one.


Only motive in all this is revenue gain to state ; aka collect taxes. . Zero motive or thought about title implications that would bother us, as collectors ---it is all about sales tax and penalties. Yet they call themselves RMV, Which is about stolen cars.


They kill you in Mass, add sales tax , BIG penalties,  compounded,  can get to 15-20k on a 300f not titled for 25 years. They use today’s value (!!!!) out of a book,  and not paid for that long (only in Taxachusetts) You simply did not need a title then in Mass; but there was a sales tax you paid,  happened when registering it, not a separate transaction. I thought of it as another line item when you register your car, like proof of insurance . Everybody did.  . I stored it. So inadvertently did not pay a reasonable sales tax at the time.. couple of hundred? No discount for a rusted out parts car vs perfect car on “value” ==”Pay max first” , then argue. . Appealed formally with photos, rusted out car with broken windows, and lost,  on that issue. No time or $ for lawyers. So, No title …on a car I legitimately bought and own. Aggravation and “attitude” abound , all around this issue. 2 hour wait at RMV to then be straight-armed. Some cars I bought had old titles, so can resell, but not register. Get a title!! For tax reasons, not title reasons.


Some of this paraphrasing  experience , not an expert.


Some guy in Alabama does it for a fee, 1500 (?) comes to mind for Alabama title. But I agree on this one ---if a dealer, he CAN get a title on a legitimate car. Watch out,  stolen or totaled out flood car.


From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Kuegel jwkco@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:24 AM
To: David Schwandt; 'David Schwandt' finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]; antonino.jelitro@xxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do


It's easy in New York State for a car made before 1975(before titles were issued)...and may be as well in other states. All you used to need was a handwritten bill of sale, a rubbing or photo of the VIN plate, a weight verification(if the vehicle model was not in the DMV database- like a truck which you would take and get weighed at a scale)  and some forms filled out. They will then issue a non-transferable registration immediately after you pay the sales tax (the most important thing that they are interested in!)and send you a transferable registration(which functions as a Title) in 30-60 days when the transfer of ownership and research of prior ownership is complete (lien search, etc.).

Good luck,

John Kuegel, 300F 



On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:03 AM, 'David Schwandt' finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]


You should be able to have your DOMV do a lost title search.

The guy you bought the car from should foot the bill, if any, for this unless you bought the car s salvage, in which case the original

title is probably history. There are probably rules and regs about selling a vehicle w/o proper title.

I know, here in Iowa at least, you need the title in order to deliver a car to a crusher or junk yard.

Good uck!

You are probably gonna need it, depending which state you are in.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of antonino.jelitro@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:03 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] no title...what to do

Hello Group
I purchased a 67 New Yorker fasttop in very nice condition, but there is no title or registration. Car had always been in the hand of a car dealer, so it was used on dealer plates. Or so is what I have been told.The seller will write me a notarized bill of sale. How can I get a title? I know it's a PITA....but really like the car and would go to the extra effort to get plates for the car. Thank you

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Posted by: "John Grady" <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To send a message to this group, send an email to:

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
go to

For list server instructions, go to

For archives go to


Home Back to the Home of the Forward Look Network Archive Sitemap