Re: 4 bbl swap / Air Cleaner Interchange

Re: 4 bbl swap / Air Cleaner Interchange

the correct air cleaner for a 62-66 4bbl 383 is the small round lid
that was used on slant six truck engines and A/B-body 225s starting
around 67-69ish.  on my 66, I used a slant six top on an aftermarket
chrome base of 8" or 7" dia.  the base is hidden, and the top
looks correct.  the earlier ones didn't have the vent pipe for the
valve cover breather.,  by 65 or so , I think they had the vent pipe
lid. see the 3rd setup pictured here:

http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

If you want the look the big 64-65 426S housing,  I used a common 14"
aftermarket base with this top:

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/msl/?5293

that used to have a snorkel on it.   didn't pay to have it chromed,
instead painted it black.

as far as hood clearance goes,   if you use the base from a cheap
aftermarket chrome air cleaner  setup, you can buy a shorter filter
(say 14x2" instead of 14x3", or 7x2" instead of 7x3") and make up
any clearance issues you have...

----