Re: Rear tapered axles/ brakes

Funny story, I was beating one of my drums off in my driveway when it finally came off. It knocked me on my rear and landed in my lap. OUCH!!!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Don Owen<mailto:d4owe9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:36 AM
  Subject: RE: Rear tapered axles/ brakes

  As mentioned to Bill in his post, "Fearing the Worst", be sure to thoroughly
  check your axle hubs after you  eventually win the battle in removing the
  darn things. As for that battle, mine went on for several weeks when
  removing the left rear drum/hub assembly. As earlier mentioned, you have to
  fire up the acetylene, and your puller needs to be heavy duty and absolutely
  centered.
  Go ahead and bang the devil out of it while your brave buddy applies the
  heat to the center of the drum and the five wheel stud holes. Make sure he
  stands clear of the drum as they sometimes do more than just "pop" off.
  You'll get it eventually! Good Luck, Donny, 64 Belvedere.

  >From: Kevin Merkley <krmerkley@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:krmerkley@xxxxxxxxx>>
  >To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
  >Subject: RE: Rear tapered axles/ brakes
  >Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:54:28 +0000
  >
  >Hi,
  >
  >The drum does separate from the hub.  Once you get them off, clean up
  >the holes and they won't stick ever again on the hub.
  >
  >K.
  >
  >bschleic57@xxxxxxx wrote:
  > >

  > > so take off the puller, put lug nuts back on and tap on the studs with a
  > > hammer?? I thought the '64 and older tapered axles has one-piece hub and
  > > drum??

  More photos, more messages, more storage-get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
  http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507<http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507>

  ----