Rad repair

Just completed a rad repair on my 63. Every year the top tank would develop a crank at the seam on the front side. I take it to the rad shop who made it for me and they hit me $100 every year to repair. I only ran a 13 lb cap and last year a 7 lb  so it didnt male sense.  I went to my old employer (1970) in the machine shop business as we also had a rad shop back then. I asked hom what he knew and he said remove the top tank cmpletely , clean and tin everything then reinstall and solder.
Sounded scary but I did it. found paint on the lip of the core where it kept splitting. Looks like it was never cleaned and tinned in the first place so only a bit was holding. I did my best but i am no rad man however  just reinstalled it and so far so good. Time will tell. I am not going to get too cocky yet but I hope I have it . Ticked me off to find a whole 3 to 4 inches painted and untinned. I hope this fixes it. Anyway am always interested in new experiences. Never had a rad apart myself before. (And Hope I never do again) but it was still interesting.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)