Re: Rad repair

Don that's great you were able to fix it yourself. I guess I've been lucky, after reading all these posts on radiators. there's a couple of shops I have used here in Pasadena, one is Crown radiator, they solder on a tag when they fix a rad. and if it ever leaks, you bring it back and they fix it for free. sometimes they charge a little, depending on the abuse, but never another $100.00. this other shop I found after scoring the radiator of my dreams, out of a 65-66 plymouth 383 car with AC, at Pick-a-part $25.00. I also found the shroud for it cast aside in the dirt $10.00. anyway it was late in the day and Crown was closed and I wanted to get it pressure checked so I went to this other shop. their was this elder guy there, gettin' ready to close, but he went ahead and checked it for me, for free! and cleaned it all up too. so I install the rad after I painted it etc..., works great car runs cooler then ever. so I decide to get a nice chrome cap for it. that was a mistake, cuz it was a 16lb. cap. and sure enough, a small leak started to develop at the seam in the front, just like yours, Don. I decided to take it back to this guy, he seemed to know alot about rads, and told me 13lbs. cap tops, for this type of rad. he charged me about 70.00 to fix it, and he painted it too. cool! shortly there after, I was at a car show and someone points out a 3" long splinter of wood, shaped like a dart, stuck right in the center of my rad. WTF?? I figure, no big deal, just stuck in the cooling fins, right. so I pluck it out. and no such luck, it starts to pee a perfect stream of coolant. soo, I take it back to the ol' guy figuring I'm gunna' loose that rod and a little cooling capacity... but, although it's not as pretty, the guy was able to save it! and only charged me $40.00. anyway, that's my rad story. hope I didn't bore you all to much, I just can't believe these outrageous prices for radiators, either. I'm still under $200.00 after my screw ups. and the radiator been workin' great for over a year since the last incident. ...knock on wood and count my blessings.

Schuyler
 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
 <http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>
FYI - I Do the Decal designs for the Poly head 318 and more! email me with your needs -
 <sky62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>