Re: [GFS] 56 Fury - Over Heating

Hello All 56ers:

    My turn on the over  heating.

    When I got my 56 it had a bunch of  miles on it and therefore only drove
it a mile or two before total tear  down.  In hindsight, I'm glad I did.

    The engine was full of sludge  (paraffin) from the old oils.  The  engine
water passages,  radiator and heater were nearly plugged.  I got a new
radiator  and heater core.  After totally disassembling the engine, the block  and
heads were "boiled" at the rebuild shop overnight and then shot peened.  After
all this it was magnifluxed before rebuild.  The other day when  I was
underneath looking around, I see that a couple of the soft plugs are  weeping a
little.

    My suggestion on the overheating is  that the block and heads are
probably plugged.  To try to remedy the  situation, you could try using a cooling
system cleaner and then knocking out  the soft plugs from underneath.  Be
prepared for a lot of hot water.   When things cool, you could then try a hose to
remove sludge.  The plugs  are easy to reinstall.  If this does not take care of
the heating  problem, then it is time for a teardown and rodding.   If you do
not  burn oil and have good compression, then a total rebuild may not be in
order.

    The 56 Fury is supposed to have a 14  pound pressure cap on the radiator.
 I am running a 7 pound and it works  fine.  The higher pressure will help
keep the engine from overheating under  hard use, which I doubt that any of us
do anymore these days with our prize  possession.  Who wants to take their
restored Fury out and race  it??  If you decide to try the 14 pound cap, you may
find that the hoses  will leak if you do not have good clamps.  I don't know if
the old style  spring clamps would hold that pressure.

    I have used the heater core trick to keep a Jeep  Cherokee from
overheating and it works!!  It got me to the next town where  the radiator was boiled
and unplugged.

    Now, I have a question of ya'll.   What do you use to keep the gas tank
plug from leaking?  I cannot find a  good seal, and my attempt at making one
hasn't worked so far.  Any  suggestions??

    Regards,

    John  Teske

Yahoo! Groups Links