IML: carpet

Hello to Bryan and IML members,

I am really surprised regarding the messages I have seen on the IML on this subject.  I looked for two years to match the carpet in my Crown.  I did not believe it when people told me outright that I would not find this carpet.  It took an exhaustive search before I realized they were right.  I am a perfectionist and was not going to sew the wrong carpet to 1000s of dollars worth of NOS upholsterys and leathers.  Yes I reccomended a household carpet.  It has already been installed in several cars with great success.  I contacted about 100 auto carpet manufacturers and found only one sample that was close.  Unfortunately the yarns were "frizzed" and it just looked like a bunch of synthetic fuzz.  Getting the correct pile depth is the real problem.  The carpet I found is 98% dead on for late 50s and early 60s Imperials.  The backing is thicker but it can be dealt with very successfully.  This carpet was chosen in part for its pliability.  It just involves making some paper patterns and some investment of time.  My upholstery man did the door panels and the back of the front seat.  It does not take as many cuts as you would suspect.  While it did take some work, it looks totally original.  Again it came from Carpets of Dalton in Dalton, Ga.  It looks anything but "cheesy".  My car had black carpet, as most imperials did, so this example only works for black carpeting.  It took me at least a hundred hours of searching via the internet, Hemmings, and carpet stores to find this solution.  While it may seem offbeat, it is all that is currently available if an exact match.  IML members should at least order a sample if they are interested.  Go to carpetsofdalton.com for contact numbers.  The pattern again is 7923 999 Artbeat 12' Tuxedo (black).

Richard Burgess
Atlanta, Ga