Re: IML: Carb fix - honing your acc pump bore w/ emery cloth

Re: IML: Carb fix - honing your acc pump bore w/ emery cloth

use REALLY fine cloth.  2000 grit sandpaper has its
adhesive that keeps the grit on the paper dissolved by
gas or carb cleaner (ask me how I know).

By doing this, you are absolutely certain that there
isn't any varnish on the walls, and the scuffing
should be very minimal depth-wise, allowing the
leather to bed in nicely with use.  The body is
aluminum, so it does not take much to do this, maybe
15-45 seconds of rubbing all the way around.

Think of it as honing the walls in a sense.  I use
circular motions with the cloth wrapped around my
pinkie, rather than up and down in the direction of
the stroke.

The carb guys that I know do this, but it isn't
something that will make or break your rebuild.

I too, would be interested in hearing more about
others' opinions on this.

-Kenyon

--- GeoNort@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I was wondering about the part where Kennyon
> mentioned taking emery cloth to
> clean out the pump bore.
>
>  "Cleaned everything out and then took emery cloth
> and scuffed up the walls
> of the accelerator pump bore."
>
> I always thought the bore just like cylinder walls
> should be smooth. Being
> rough, and leather being soft, I would think would
> wear the piston material.
> Anyone have any thoughts on this one. I just
> finished doing complete rebuilds on
> 2 AFB carburetors. I left the walls smooth and they
> both work fine.
>
> Now the engine feels twitchy and responsive
> and powerful.  It wants to really take off.
>
> I'll have to adjust my driving accordingly, as I
> don't
> want the car to be all that aggressive - I want it
> comfortable and smooth.
>

>  I know the accelerator pump rod has an adjustment
> to reduce the pump stroke
> which will make a difference in the amount of gas
> being injected in the
> engine. This might help slow the rocket launch
> syndrome, making take off a bit
> smoother
>
> George
>
> 64 crown