Re: IML: Rust is getting worse -How do I stop it ?

Re: IML: Rust is getting worse -How do I stop it ?

anthony romano <mamrom@xxxxxxx> wrote:
What's the best way to stop the rusting underneath the rocker panel boards without replacing them?
Two different good do-it-yerself products are made by POR-15 and Eastwood:

http://www.por15.com/4STEPSYSTEM/tabid/187/Default.aspx

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=372

I have had good results with the POR-15 system.  I used their fiberglass mat along with the POR-15 paint to patch some pinholes in the trunk of my '71 Imperial and was pleased with the results.  I think POR-15 probably works best on metal that is not going to be easily visible, such as trunks and panels under the car (based on the relative difficulty of topcoating or painting over POR-15).  The Eastwood product will likely yield better results for body panels that will be painted and viewable.

Best luck!  Catch it now, because it will only get worse over time.

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron