Re: IML: Old car telephones

Speaking of Imperials and telephones...who else knows of the "Imperial" set?
It was issued by Ma Bell in the early 50s in commemoration of the birth of the telephone 75 years earlier.

http://www.andhowantiques.com/images/864.jpg

Standard was an ivory handset, ivory cords and a clear dial fingerwheel. It came with either a brass or nickel plating, depending on the customer's preference.

These were actually recycled phones (model D1 or 202) from the early 30s that were made less desirable with the introduction of an "all in one" phone by Bell in 1936. Predecessors needed an external box to house the network, capacitor, and ringer (as seen in the previous photo). The newer set contained all necessary parts and the ringer within itself; it was called the 302 model.

http://www.ericofon.com/sale/classic1/302.jpg

-Alex Krasicky

Christopher Carter <chris_carter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It has been a very long time since I last saw a car telephone of that style, and it did not even have a dial on it, much like a hotel phone of the era. Again, if anyone knows of a supplier of these I would certainly like one. That would be a great add on as I make improvements to my LeBaron. Retro is so hot right now that I feel certain that they are out there somewhere. The information super highway is one thing, but I lack the proper road map to find them!