Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 10:31 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 60 Imperial-starter problem

Hi guys, it's been interesting reading this one. I rebuilt my '60
starter and generator about 5 years ago with a Kanter kit. Bushes,
repaint, zink plated nuts and bolts and some parts. But the core I
had done professionally, I didn't think it cost that much at the time
for the amount of work in it. One thing that has always bugged me is
that none of the reconditioning kits I've seen ever have the rubber
boot for the starter solenoid and I would have thought this is the
first thing they'd reproduce as it's the most likely place to get
water in and cause trouble.
My original one was toast. Has anyone ever seen one for sale? Maybe I
haven't  been looking in the right places but  ten years I've never
seen one for sale.

Luke
60 Le Baron

On 2/09/2006, at 3:28 PM, Tom Scott wrote:

> [...]
>> erranding can increase the heat in large-block cylinders and
>> expand the piston rings.  A symptom I watch for as an indicator of
>> an aging starter or battery is when the car fails to start when
>> you've made a bunch of stop-and-go starts, but behaves normally
>> once the engine cools a few moments (and the rings contract).
>>
>> With respect to forceful pursuasion methods on starters, one we
>> use frequently here in the flatlands (and one that I employed just
>> this week when my '69 Buick starter Bendix became reluctant) is to
>> open the car door, drop the transmission into neutral and push
>> with your foot to make the car move a little.  While it's moving,
>> even a tiny bit, you drop the transmission back into park and the
>> force of the transmission locking can jar the starter back into
>> action.  Often you can actually hear it release. I've had cars
>> that each want a different method of releasing a captured
>> starter.  I've jumped up and down on the rear bumper of fords and
>> the front bumper of my Cadillac.  I had three late 70s/early 80s
>> Mercedes diesels that would only respond to a sharp rapping on the
>> starter when they got stuck, a very inconvenient problem when
>> you're in a suit.  And you haven't lived until you're out with
>> your boss for lunch and had to jump on the bumper to release your
>> starter.  My '76 Cadillac provided that memory for me, that being
>> the day before I went out and bought a new starter.  Plainly,  I'm
>> cheap and waited too long.
>>
>> My '70 300 with its gear-reduction starter never gave me that type
>> of trouble.  It had plenty of other problems and never ceased to
>> drive me insane, but the starter always performed well.  I
>> sometimes called that car "tough love" or worse, depending on what
>> on-board system was failing me at the moment, yet of all the cars
>> I've owned and sold, I miss the 300 the most.
>>
>> Patrick
>> '58 Southampton project
>> '69 Electra ragtop w/ "Wildcat" rims
>> '86 Merecedes 300 SDL (my daily, 237K miles and counting!)
>> '04 Honda "mini-man" (her daily)
>>
>> .
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Scott" <shelbyguy@xxxxxxx>
>> Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:37 PM
>> Subject: IML: 60 Imperial-starter problem
>>

>>> I was out tooling around in my 60 Crown today running a few
>>> errands.  It was cool today, temp right around 70F.  The car ran
>>> perfectly throughout the day until the last stop.  I ran into the
>>> local WalMart to pick up some film I had developed and when I
>>> came out, she was dead.  The temp gauge never moved more than 1/3
>>> of the way to hot the whole day.  I had stopped, parked and
>>> restarted the car 4 times within a span of about 20 minutes and
>>> had driven maybe 6 miles or so.  When I turned the key to start,
>>> nothing happened at all.  I ran through the pushbuttons figuring
>>> maybe the neutral switch was hung up or maybe the pushbuttons
>>> themselves.  Everything electrical worked at normal
>>> speed...windows, wipers, etc.  Dejectedly, I hoofed it on
>>> home...fortunately I was only a mile or so from home.  About an
>>> hour later I went back to the car, turned the key and she started
>>> right up.  The starter spun at normal revolutions.
>>> Anybody got a clue as to what might have happened?  I'm thinking
>>> either the starter or solenoid overheated but starting the car 4
>>> times in a half hour or so shouldn't overheat them.
>>> There is no corrosion on either the battery or the starter.
>>> Thanx
>>> Tom