Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 10:26:51 -0700
Subject: Re: IML: hidden stereo
From: imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

John and Dick,

There is one other choice here, and it’s what the factory did (to some extent) in other two-speaker stereo set-ups where there was only one front and one rear speaker:

• Connect the front left speaker output wires to the rear speaker.
• Connect the front right speaker outputs to the front speaker.
• Isolate (tape off, not connected to anything) the outputs for both rear speakers.
• Set the fader to the full front position (sending all the power output to the existing speakers and none to the nonexistent ones).

You’ll have what I call sideways stereo, which is how my 1972 Charger came from the factory. If I turn my head to look out the driver’s door window, I get the proper sound. But in the normal seating orientation (looking out the windshield, and sorry for stating the obvious there!), it’s usually only noticeable when playing recordings from the late 1960s and early 1970s when artists from the Beatles to the Mamas and Papas to Tavares felt the need to make the left and right channels play different parts of the music (such as the vocals in the left channel and the music in the right). Most of the time you’ll not notice it.

When the factory did this, the radio had no fader., just balance. Or in the case of my Charger, which has no labels on the radio knobs, I guess it’s “front/rear balance” since a normal fader controls both channels at once. In other words, the balance raises and lowers the individual stereo channels (left and right), while a fader shifts both channels front or rear. With this two-speaker set-up, it’s a hybrid that can best be thought of as stereo rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise (looking down at the car).

Hope that wasn’t more confusing, but I think leaving the rear-speaker outputs from your new stereo disconnected will give you the most simple and effective solution. Unless the much more intelligent electron herder Dick B tells us there’s a reason my idea is missing something big!

Chris in LA
(In the electron herding business, I’m at best a rodeo clown)