Re: IML: 1958 turn signal question

--- rex crews <rexcrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I am
> trying to determine if the problem is in the switch
> itself or the
> "brain" circuit board that is attached to the
> column.  I don't have a
> replacement switch to try, so I am at a loss as to
> how to test this
> out.  Can any '58 or '59 owner help me here?  I
> believe both years use
> the same switch set up.  Thanks so much!

I don't know about any "brain".  The only brain in my
'6o is mine, and I have to be in the car for it wo
work...

There is a cam on the steering column.  When it passes
the turn signal switch, it flips the switch, canceling
the turn signal.  A failure of this part could point
to the symptoms experienced.

I took my column apart and failed to re-assemble it
properly.  the cam was thus not aligned with the
switch, and it was impossible to operate and I had to
go manual cancel from then on.

I figured this out after re-assembly of the 107 other
parts that surround this, and was just off the "drop
the steering box on your hand" tour, and so decided
that I could live without another column dis-assembly
adventure.  Car got sold, and I bet the Swede that got
it has no idea that the thing "can" self-cancel.

Anyway, some cars have the switch mounted to the
column with a pair of phillips screws, and removal
isn't a big deal.  Use a mirror and some tinkering and
you might have less of a problem than you think.

Can't speak for 1958, but they didn't tend to change
things all that much unless there was a good reason.

Kenyon Wills