From: dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mikanlin62@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: IML: water pumps and gaskets etc etc and fuel consumption figures

Hi Mike! Thanks for the info about the water-pumps! I am still hoping that its
something about where the lower radiator hose is connected to the in-port that
is causing the leak but after checking it again today, I think its more likely
that what leaks I am seeing just happen to be dripping down the face of the
motor and I am SEEING this drip under the in-port for the hose. There were NO
LEAKS at all on the car when I got it and the part that makes me wonder is that
the tire shop that changed the UPPER HOSE said that the lower hose part that I
had got was the incorrect one...that it wouldn't fit! Soooooooo, I am wondering
if the shop guy didn't start to change the hose (take off the old one) and
looses up something in that vacinity when he tried to get the new hose on before
he realized it was not the right fit! I checked with the previous owner (Chris
HAwkins) and he said that 'leaks' of any kind have never happened with the car
before. Of course, its possible that something just decided to'leak' (Murphy's
Law and all that) right now but sure seems strange! I am going to try and drain
the coolant (again) and dry up everything and possibly remove the oil filter
which is right in the way of getting a good view up under that in-port for the
lower hose. MAybe there is a small 'rust-thru' problem that was covered up with
the old hose whehn it was on there.....who knows? Anyway, its so windy out right
now that I can't even drain the antifreeze into trays....the wind  will blow it
all over the place and thats a BIG no-no here . Someone will start wondering
where the 'green stuff' is coming from that is running down the street!!!
Anyway, tomorrow I try once more. If I can't find the problem I will have to
remove the fan/water-pump/etc and see if something is obvious as to the leakage
point.
Ah! The joy of loving old cars!!!
Dan Melnik

---- mike and linda sutton <mikanlin62@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
The water pump and or gasket for ANY B or RB engine should be one of the
easiest things to find on one of these cars.  They fit the entire 361, 383,
400, 413, 426 and 440 line and there are basically two choices...with or
without air.  The old Lester catalog number ( Lester was a catalog line that
was used nearly across the board for decades for part numbers on
alternators, water pumps, starters etc etc...parts that had cores ) was 1317
and 1317A for air conditioned cars.  As far as the gasket goes, its the same
one in all cases.  The water pump housing gaskets are also the same for all
these engines.

On the subject of fuel consumption, I tell people the same thing one of our
customers with a Cessna Citation ( carries and burns fuel loads measured in
the hundreds of gallons ) told me when I asked him how much it uses..." All
of it".

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe