From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 10:39 AM
Subject: IML: Water Leaks and Murphy's Law

How did all of this start?

It sounds like there were no leaks before, and the decision was made to have
a shop replace the upper hose. What "lower hose part" is being referenced
here? Was the lower hose being changed also, and a problem discovered with
the spot where it connects to the housing? Was the old water pump removed
and reinstalled without replacing it?

As has been stated, water could be coming from above and then dripping down
to the lowest point before it can be seen. The water pump shaft seal or
gasket could be leaking. Bottomline, there's a leak and it needs to be
fixed. Heck, I have seen a pin hole leak in a hose (check both radiator
hoses and heater hoses), or in the radiator itself shoot water at the front
of the engine, and appearing from below like a leaky pump.

If my memory is working today, on the 413, the water pump can be replaced
without removing the entire housing, in fact that is the way that they
usually do it. I don't recall if the same set up exists on the 440, but the
source of this water leak shouldn't be that difficult to find. If the shop
took the car apart and didn't put it back together correctly, they should be
able to figure out what they did wrong, or maybe they aren't a very good
shop in the first place.

Paul W.