Re: IML: 1968 Imperial Dash Repair and Removal

Re: IML: 1968 Imperial Dash Repair and Removal

Tom,

Dale Anderson's bronze restoration article is an
excellent guide for refinishing the '68 bronze panels:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1968/bronze/index.htm

I used the article as a starting point, and adapted
the process to suit my environment and the supplies I
could find. For example, I used a homemade brew of
lemon juice and vinegar to soak away stains, a roll of
tool-drawer padding to help grip panels to the table
while using abrasives, sand paper wrapped around a
block in addition to steel wool for restoring texture,
and Rust-Oleum Lacquer High Lustre Coating as the
finish coat. My spray booth amounted to my left hand
and a pair of disposable gloves.

The best trick I learned while restoring the bronze
came from Leslie Howard. I was having a problem with
bubbles and ghosting spoiling the finished lacquer. I
would have to re-strip the bronze and start over.
Leslie suggested extending the drying time by placing
the sprayed pieces in a warm oven. Wow, that worked
like a charm! The bronze would come out smooth and
bright as a mirror.

Interestingly, I set the oven too hot once, which
caused the bronze to turn bright orange. Imagine that
look in a '68!

To re-attach the bronze I used 3M brand trim and
emblem adhesive from a tube. (The tape-style adhesives
I found at autobody stores were all too thick; they
would have raised the height of the bronze plates
relative to their frames.) Before attaching the
bronze, I learned to let the glue dry a bit to prevent
running. The adhesive spoils the lacquer finish
easily.

I had a lot of "do-overs" in the process, and the work
was fussy. The result, though, has been very
satisfying.

Dave Duricy