Re: IML: 73 Thermostat replacement

jhplc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Time to change the thermostat..so... That top bolt is right up against the a/c compressor so a socket won't fit, and the distributor is making it impossible to use an open end wrench. If I pulled the distributor out, changed the thermostat..then put it right in, would it affect the timing?...(don't need more problems!)..
Hi Jerry,

Whenever I change a thermostat on a 440, I use a universal swivel adapter for my socket extension.  This will give you just enough offset from the extension that you can get the socket on the thermostat housing bolt.

You can also loosen the compressor and push it over a smidge, but that's more work.

And if you remove the distributor, you WILL have to set the timing once you reinstall it.

Go to your local hardware store and get a socket swivel.  They're cheap and will make the job SO much easier!

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron