Re: IML: '73 Lebaron - factory installed wrong air door for AutoTemp II

Re: IML: '73 Lebaron - factory installed wrong air door for AutoTemp II - need correct part

Jim,

I have scanned 2 exploded views from my 1972 parts manual that might be of help.
http://www.dickroyale.com/log/imperial/images/atcparts01.gif
http://www.dickroyale.com/log/imperial/images/atcparts02.gif

You have probably already noticed the AT2 manual on our club site:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1972/72ATII/Cover.htm

Since ATC was quite common, a used air door should be quite easy to obtain from one of our trusted parts guru's: Phil, Bob or Murray. Btw, getting the fan out is not as difficult as you might think. You just have to take the ps-wheel off and remove the plastic mud guard.

Cheers,
Frank
'72 coupe (sure brake)
New Zealand

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Stacey" <jhrstacey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 4:13 AM
Subject: RE: IML: '73 Lebaron - factory installed wrong air door for AutoTemp II - need correct part

Tim,

Thanks for your interest and offer to help.

You raise some good points.

You're right about the actuator bracket.  In my original email when I
referred to the "air door" I was referring to both the housing and the
actuator bracket as one assembly since the bracket is riveted to the
housing. However, the parts book calls for both a different bracket and
different air door housing for the ATCII.  As you suggested, the ATCII
bracket would have a mounting location for the transfer switch.  Mine
doesn't. From what I can gather from the MTSC booklet, the air door housing would need to be different as well since apparently there is a cam attached to the air door itself on the ATCII version to control the transfer switch.

I got the vacuum hoses out of storage and took a look at how they were
configured when I took it apart.  (I labeled all hose ends when I
disassembled them.)  There are three vacuum hoses to the air door
actuator/transfer switch - black, green and orange.

The orange hose was connected correctly - to the "close" side of the door
actuator. The FSM shows this to be used only in the "OFF" mode, so I assume
it would have behaved as it was supposed to.

The black hose that was supposed to be connected to the transfer switch to
open the door to 100% outside air was connected directly to the "open" side
of the door actuator, so it would have caused the door to open to 100%
outside air when it was supposed to, even though it did not go through the
transfer switch.

The green hose was the one that actually went "nowhere". It was not plugged
or capped.  This is the one that was supposed to open the door to only 20%
outside air.  Since it was not connected, I assume the door would have
stayed at 100% recirculation when 20% outside was called for.  And, as you
pointed out, when in this mode there should have been a hissing sound from
that green hose sucking air, but it was so long ago since I drove the car
that I couldn't say whether the noise was apparent or not! Plus it is hard
to say what effect this leaking vacuum line could have had on the rest of
the system. Perhaps it compromised the vacuum in other parts of the system
causing poor performance?

I am looking forward to hearing what you find when you have a chance to look at your car. It is a happy coincidence that the glove box is out so you can
have good look at it.  That should tell us exactly what components are
correct and how they are arranged, mounted and connected.  It might be a
challenge, but perhaps you could get a photo through the glove box door that
would show all this.

Thanks again for your help.  If I can be of any help looking up a part
number in the '73 parts book for you or anyone else on the list - just say
the word.

Jim Stacey
'73 4dr project