IML: '56 Freeze Plugs

Imperialists,

    In light of the fact I am going to undertake the replacement of all the freeze plugs in my '56 354, as she is down for the winter, I am in the process of getting the plugs {1 5/8, is that correct?} what would the recommended procedure be to make sure I get as much 'old residuals' out of the block as possible as I am sure these are original plugs.  Thanks in advance.

Jack

'56 Imperial Sedan