From: jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: IML: electroluminescent lighting power supply

Well, now I know what the problem was/is with my panel lights on my '60 - they would come on strong then slowly fade to black.
Thanks all -

Jim in OR
----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:33 PM

A short in the system will NOT hurt the power supply, but it will keep
all >the lamps from lighting. If you have one shorted lamp, NONE of them will >light. If the transformer isn't grounded, NONE of them will light. If the >cluster isn't grounded, none of the lights in the cluster will light. If >one light is open, the other the lights will work except for the open one. >Remember, each red needle is a separate light. If the transformer is good, >and no lights work, and the headlight switch is known to be good, one lamp >or more have probably shorted out. You need to disconnect them one at a >time to find out which one it is by seeing when the remaining lights resume >to work. Then reconnect them one at a time to make sure you don't have >another short. Gauge needles are a common culprit of shorted lamps. I have >had the lights work until a specific needle moves, and then all the lights >go out. That would indicate a shorted needle light. Disconnecting the light >wire that that particular gauge will allow the others to light.

If the power supply dies, it usually makes the lights grow dim over
time, > frequently they start out somewhat bright and then get very dim in a few > minutes. I have also heard of them failing suddenly, although this has > never happened to me. You should have an extra KNOWN TO BE GOOD power > supply if you plan to do any work on this system. You should probably > collect a few extra clusters/switch nameplates, etc. as well in case you > need to work on various components.

Again, make sure that you have a good ground for both the transformer
and > the cluster (or light). Good luck!!

Paul W.