Re: IML: 1959 Imperial Body Tag Decoding

Re: IML: 1959 Imperial Body Tag Decoding

Charles

I offer this help and please note I am not 100% sure of  the following:
My 1959 LeBaron's top line is  A  0305  M657100726, where
A = ?? I once saw a reference to a combination of door guards, vanity mirror and rear licence frame but..??
   0305 = The car's scheduled build date (March 5). Yours is April 6
   M = 1959
   6 = Imperial
   5 = Lebaron (3 was a Crown and 1 was a Custom)
   7 = Assembly Plant (Dearborn)
   100726 = 726th car built. Yours was the 843rd
My second line is 654 N 706 TTV PW DL H2T9, where (and it gets tougher)
   654 = 4 door Southampton
   N = ??
706 = Trim code (ruby broadcloth). Same as yours. If it had leather trim it would be 716.
   TTV = Deep Ruby with black landau. Yours is black.
   PW = Power windows?
   DL = Door locks?
H2T = Don't know but H could be heater and 2 could be dual speed heater fan or dual A/C. T = ??(mine has dual air and a heater).
   9 = Suregrip rear end
My third line is M2  HO  R5AP  RM  HD1  AC  S where
   M2 = ???
   HO = ??? I do not believe it was hood ornament as mine did not have one
R5AP = no idea. Does R mean radio? Does A mean antenna? Mine has a power antenna.(AP means antenna power?) 5 is the model of radio? For example with foot control?
   RM = Remote contolled mirror? I have one on the driver's side.
   HD = Headlight dimmer?
   1 = Axle ratio?
   AC = Air conditioning?
   S =  Is it the Silvercrest roof? Mine has a silvercrest roof.

Charles possibly you, Steve Restelli and I could correspond amongst ourselves and try to shed more light on these numbers.

One last request . Has anyone ever heard of Smallwood Motors in Hawthorne, NJ? According to the Chrysler Historical Group my car was delivered there on March 10/59.

Mel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Hansen" <hansencw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:11 PM
Subject: IML: 1959 Imperial Body Tag Decoding

I need some help decoding the body tag plate on my 1959 Imperial LeBaron Southampton. The tag reads (best as I can decipher it) as follows:

A   0406     M657100843
654    N    706    AAV    PW(or V?)     DL9    H1    T
M2    H0    R5    AP7    RM    HD    AC    S

I know the M657100843 is the VIN; 654=Body Type (4 door Southampton); 706 = Trim (Ruby); AAV = Color (Formal Black with Black Landau).

I looked on the IML site and did a Google search on the web but couldn't find info about the 1959 Imperial body tags.

Thanks,
Charlie Hansen
1959 Imperial LeBaron Southampton