IML: Hood Rust

I'm working the hood right now of my 62 restoration project. It has some light rust along the seams. After removing it I've discovered that it must have a fair amount of rust on the inside. I was a bit surprised since the car is rather rust free other than some on the tail below the trunk lid. But when turning the hood from side to side and end to end there results a good amount of rattling and clatering as the rust debris moves about. I actually sheared a bolt when I took it off. But that's another story. What I am asking about today is has anyone has dealt with this kind of rust on the inside of a hood before. I need to treat the rust but have no real access other than the few openings in the bottom panels. I'm sure I could give a shop lot's-o money and they would dip the entire thing in something caustic to treat it. As you know that hood is gonna take a pretty big tank. So I was looking for a solution that did not include the lot's-o money part.

Thanks in advance.

Dave