Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Raising the Rear

1960 Imperial rear leaf springs are designed to have an inverted arch
or slightly "upside down" appearance. If they are arched with the ends
upward as one would expect, they are not correct. Several years of our
cars were made this way. An improper arch will change the drive shaft
angle.

If the drive shaft is hitting the floor, it is because the carrier
bearing insulator is broken. This would feel very different than a
simple vibration. I have had this condition, and there isn't any
mistaking the pounding of the drive shaft on the floor of the car. It
is very loud.

If you truly have the vibration associated with improper drive shaft
angle, it will occur during acceleration at around 30 mph and go away
around 40. It only will vibrate under load. It may diminish or go away
with passengers in the back seat.  Broken or missing rear axle support
struts will cause a similar sensation, since the axle housing would
shift, thus changing the angle under load.

Paul W.