From: Rob van der Es <R.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 1:30 am
Subject: Re: IML: Harmonic Balancer

Hi Paul,

Checked it today, and yes there is quite a delay between turning the engine by hand and seeing the rotor turning...  I guess the timing chain has really streched over the years. Lord knows how long it has been on the car, maybe still the first one??

Thanks for your helpful contribution (as always!)

Robert
----- Original Message ----- From: "PAUL WENTINK" <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 1:36 AM

I have only had one of these actually fail on a 413, and it made a lot
of noise since it was rubbing against the timing chain cover part of
the time. I doubt that it is causing this problem. You may want to
check your timing chain by removing the distributor cap and watching
the rotor as you move the engine by hand. See if there is a long delay
between the movement of the crank shaft and the rotor. If not, you're
in good shape. The timing gears were metal in the 1960 model, and not
as prone to failure as those used in the 440. Old worn timing chains do
stretch, so it should be checked.

Paul W.