Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Harmonic Balancer/Road Timing

It probably is the original one, however if the car is running well,
there isn't really a need to change it right now. The only time it
becomes a serious problem is if the engine has a "run-on" condition
after the ignition is turned off. Under this circumstance, the engine
can jerk front wards and back wards, further damaging the timing set,
or taking up the slack in the chain and possibly causing it to skip
time. This usually only happens to the cars with nylon coated timing
chain teeth, making a new timing set necessary to get the car running
again. In this case, I personally wouldn't do anything about this
unless it was also time to overhaul the complete engine. You can set
the ignition timing by "road timing it", rather than using the timing
light, which is usually with I do to compensate for today's fuels
anyway.

Paul W.