Play In Steering Column

Hello Eric,
It is not a thug sound I get, and I believe it has nothing to do with the steering box since the problem is so far away from it, and near the top of the column. Many have replied that the problem is in the steering linkage and bushings, but this is not a problem which occurs only when the car is running, but when it is turned off and parked I can move the wheel about six inches from sided to side, and can pull it toward me about an inch. This is why I feel it is something that gave way near the top of the column close to where the steering wheel attaches.

Bill '59 Crown