Re: [FWDLK] Mitchell Auto Parts

  I have found that setting the adjustment CLOSE with the drum off  - by sizing it up and trying to slide the drum over the shoes as tightly as possible - is far easier than trying to spin that little star wheel with it on.  I have always kept my trunnion bolts, etc. nicely cleaned and lubed so that dropping the driveshaft and p-brake drum is not a rusty-crusty fight.  Just a few nuts removed and you can easily access the shoes and adjuster.  It also keeps you current on what condition things are in inside that drum.  With the shoes adjusted so the drum barely slides on, a good, solid hold is had when the p-brake is applied.

  And just in case no one here has had this pleasure, .... there is a reason these are often called "emergency brakes" as well.   I had a push pin shear one of the tangs off and had total brake failure in my DeSoto while descending the Felton St. exit into downtown San Francisco during rush hour.  Needless to say, having that e-brake in good tune and on a hand-operated lever was a godsend.  I would have piled it up into a long line of cars waiting at the light at the bottom of the steep ramp had I not.

   B.