[FWDLK] Old cars and new gas?

Hello all,
I have a question about how you all handle new fuel in your older cars.  Of
course there is the problem of lead vs. unleaded, but I am also wondering about
octane levels.  I know that for some of the hotter engines in the fin cars the
engine compression ratio was very high.  (Like 11:1 and more)  In Colorado
premium pump fuel is 91 octane, hardly correct for 11:1 comp.  What do you guys
do?  Is there lead/octane additives that you like?  Does anyone know if altitude
has an effect on this as well?  Am I wrong, and 11:1 does fine on 91?   Just
curious,
Peter