Re: [FWDLK] Old cars and new gas?

I have read some of the debate on lead substitutes and valve recession, and
 admit I
don't know the answer.  I've seen some head that suffered serious valve seat
erosion, but I don't know that it was due to lack of lead.  I play it safe and
 use a
lead substitute.  It does nothing for the octane, just lubricates the valve
 seats.
It's an inconvenience for local driving, but could be a real hassle on a
cross-country trip.  The real answer is to have a cylinder head shop install
hardened valve seats.
If the engine doesn't knock, whatever octane you are using is fine, and you
 might
even try the next lower octane to save some money.  Some of the performance
 engines
of the '50s and '60s had high advertised compression ratios, but if you ever
 measure
the actual CR, you will probably find it is lower than advertised.  Most of the
 '50s
engines were actually low compression by today's standards.  Again. if it
 doesn't
knock, don't worry, be happy.  If you hear just a bit of ping on hard
 acceleration,
the octane is just adequate.  Altitude does make a difference on octane
requirement.  Higher altitude requires less.  You may be fine driving around
Colorado, but need an additive when visiting Los Angeles.