Re: [FWDLK] The color Argent- on wheels none the less.

Re: [FWDLK] The color Argent- on wheels none the less.

My Funk and Wagnall's (actually, Webster's) defines argent as coming
from the Greek argyros (silver) and/or argos (white), defined as:

"the heraldic color silver or white."

Perhaps the dull, metallic finish of suits of armour lent itself
to the choice of the term argent by modern painters to denote
the textured silver used by Chrysler in the 60's/70's.
Like my fellow northwesterner who spoke up, I have a dozen or
so Mopars from the late 50's, and those that appear to me
to be unmolested since birth have plain silver wheels. Where this
shows up most convincingly is when I'm able to get a car with
its original spare intact. It's the rare repainter that gets around to
painting the spare wheel along with the others.

Silver gets my vote, but there's nothing wrong with black or body
color if I think the car looks good that way, too. What I do have
a problem with is my 69 Roadrunner, which is generally correct
otherwise, but came with a rallye wheel (argent) as a spare.
I'm quite certain the spare here would have been a simple steel
wheel, to hold down cost, so I'm correcting that.

 - Dan
P.S. I enjoy our discussions, and learn something from
just about everyone.