Re: [FWDLK] 57 to 58 headlights - Plymouth

Re: [FWDLK] 57 to 58 headlights - Plymouth

Dan -

        I have converted a 57 Ply fender to a 58, but it takes a lot of work.  You
can't use it 'as is', since the inner headlight area is different in two
ways: the 57 has the large hole cut out for the single headlight and the
inner headlight area is too shallow when compared to the 58.  What has to
be done is to remove the inner headlight area from a 58 with a die grinder
and then weld it into the 57 fender.  The chances are that this area will
be good even if the eyebrow is rusted out.  Take a lot of measurements to
verify that it is going in correctly.  It took me about 12 hours to do it
slowly and correctly.  If you are not an experienced welder / sheet metal
guy, I recommend looking around your area for dry, rust free fenders in
salvage yards.  I just purchased a pair of rust free 58 Ply fenders from a
guy in Oregon (he doesn't have any more, BTW).  Your area seems to have a
lot of rust-free metal.  Good luck !

Ron