Re: [FWDLK] Need information, where should I go.

Re: [FWDLK] Need information, where should I go.

>     I was wondering if someone could direct me to people, places, or books
>     where I could find out more about these Forward looking cars.

The Standard Catalog of Chrysler is available from Classic Motorbooks.
1-800-826-6600.

Ask for catalog number 115257B $19.95... Definately your best bet for the money.

>I have a '66 318 and 727 out of a Fury with a 4/barrel intake etc.  I
>thought that the Plaza
>     would be one cool ride with this engine in it.

A Hollander interchange book may answer some of your swapping questions.
Your biggest challenge with that swap would be the introduction of the 727
tanny into a cast iron Torqueflite driveline. Issues like motor & tranny
mounts, speedo and shift linkage, etc. need to be dealt with. Oh yea...
don't forget about the emergency brake (It's on the end of the
transmission. It didn't move to the rear wheels until '63). Now you might
be getting into swapping the rear axles.

The most exotic powerplant available for '58 Plymouths was the Golden
Commando 305hp inline twin 4bbl 350cid V-8. You might consider
transplanting a hemi powerplant. Chrysler management would not permit the
Plymouth division to utilize the hemi for fear the lighter cars would
outshine the company's powerful flagship 300 letter series. It's
interesting that the Dodge division got to play with "leftover" 1956 300B
hemi engines in a special '57 Dodge model called the D-501.

You might have fun with a '56 Imperial 354cid hemi 4bbl motor. Keep in kind
the 3-speed Torqueflite transmission didn't come out until 1956... and only
on Imperials. I'm not sure how 3-speed automatics will bolt up to the
earlier 1950-55 331 hemi V-8's.

I have seen Plymouths with transplanted 392 hemi engines... although I
don'y know the details of how everything went together.

Quite honestly, you might get more reward from modernizing the whimpy drum
brakes over to front discs. Afterall, the stock V-8 Plymouths were known to
blow past most of the competition anyway. Even my '58 Dodge Coronet 2bbl
V-8 would squeal the tires in first & second gear.

The bottom line for me is a 4bbl V-8 with dual exhaust can satisfy my right
foot and disc brakes & radials can satisfy my left.

Have fun no matter what you choose. Get the book.