[FWDLK] sand, bead, walnut shell blasting

[FWDLK] sand, bead, walnut shell blasting

Hi all,
        Awhile back, I asked about taking the body off my 59 Belv.  I still
haven't done that, as I purchased a different 59 to redo, much less
rust.  I am now starting to tear down the latest one, so a couple of
things...
        1. What is the best way to remove the steering column?  Must I remove
steering wheel from column first... how to disconnect from steering
box...etc...
        2. Members have talked in the past about blasting with glass beads and
walnut shells.  Is this as hard on the metal as sandblasting can be?  I
sandblasted a hood on a Chevy Corsica, and it warped the metal. This was
done with a very small sandblaster.  If bead blasting or shell blasting
works without warping the metal I'm game, but I don't want the hood or
other parts of my 59 to look like our old Corsica. Is this just do to
much thinner metal?
        Where can a guy get walnut shells in bulk for blasting?  I have access
to a very good portable blaster, so volume or pressure isn't a problem.
I'm thinking shells instead of glass beads, as they are biodegradable,
much easier on my yard.  The neighborhood cats always like when I
sandblast, maybe glass is better...ouch!  Of course $$$$ always enters
into the decision.  Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,  John in WI