Re: [FWDLK] Hitches

The rear frame is very weak and flimsy, especially the aft cross member.
It, and the side rails aft of the rear wheels are open U-channel.  These
must be closed in using a MIG-welder and plate steel.  Then weld a 12" long
receiver tube to the bottom of the aft cross member such that the top of
the front end is lap welded to the bottom center of the crosds member.
Then weld in heavy gussetts (stringers) from each rear frame corner to
opposite sides of the receiver tube.  Be sure to attach forward of the
hitch pin holes with enough clearance to install and remove the pin during
use.

When done this way, the receiver will clear all original satructures and
the aft end of the hitch will peek out just below the center of the bumper.
The frame will be strong enough to not twist and bewnd under load from a
trailer.  Do not try to get by with some light duty fix on the excuse the
trailer is light weight.  The forces on the road that can develop at 55 MPH
with a 3,000 pound car are nothing to fool with.  If you twist up your
frame, the sheetmetal dfamage will be the death of your classic car.

By the way, I did the above trailer hitch installation on a frame off
restoration of a '56 Fury.  I'll be towing a '56 Airstream Bubble to car
shows with me next year.  (The Bubble is only 1,000 pounds.)

Richard Main
twenty-two 55-56 Plymouths