Re: [FWDLK] '57's: History of dual vs. quadrilight headlights?

--- brians <brians@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't remember anyone being arrested in the US for
> buying a 57 Lincoln, Nash or Hudson or ever reading
> about either Ford or American Motors being fined for
> selling these 4 headlamp cars in all of the states -
> regardless of whether the state had passed
> appropriate legislation allowing 4 headlamps.

Lincoln wasn't a 100% pure quadralight, as the top
light was still a conventional dual lamp accompanied
by a smaller one below. I never realized this until a
magazine article pointed it out; it's easy to see once
you know to look for it.

I don't think the '57 Nash came out until quads were
legal in all states. Hudson still used duals.

I'd be interested to hear from our Canadian FLers on
this. All the pictures I've ever seen of Monarch
Turnpike Cruisers show them with duals, this despite
the Mercury version having quads as standard (at least
in the US) and coming out after legalization in all
states. I'm interested as to whether this was due to
provincial or Canadian law, and how MoPars may have
been affected.

I'm also curious about whether there were any
production 300s or Adventurers with duals. I've seen a
shot of a 300-C prototype with duals (looked pretty
strange).

And as much as I love '57 Imperials, if I ever found
myself with a dual-equipped '57 I wouldn't be able to
stop myself from changing it over...