Re: [FWDLK] '57's: History of dual vs. quadrilight headlights?

Re: [FWDLK] '57's: History of dual vs. quadrilight headlights?

The acceptance of four headlamps over two was a provincial
decision in Canada.  To quote from the 1957 Chrysler brochure :

"Optional on New Yorker models and Windsor Town & Country in
Provinces where law permits."

The 1957 DeSoto brochure states :
"The installation of dual headlights is governed by provincial
legislation".

By the by, all 1957 DeSotos and the Chrysler New Yorker and Chrysler
Windsor Town & Country models were imported.   Which means
that all Canadian-built Mopars came with the two-beam system.
In 1957 the only Chrysler models built in Canada were the Windsor
sedans and hardtops (model LC2-M - basically a Saratoga with
Windsor nameplates).

I, too, have never seen a Monarch with the 4-headlamp system,
and the only Mercurys I have seen were American.  Mind you,
that did not stop customizers.  When I was a youngster in Winnipeg
I can recall a 1957 Meteor with 4 headlamps.  Not sure how he
did it, but it looked pretty good.  It looked similar to the Mercury
setup, but without all the chrome.

As for the 1957 Imperial with duals, I have a clipping from either
Popular Mechanics or Popular Science, showing photos of the
new 1958 models and a brief description of the changes from
1957.  The 1958 Imperial in the photo has SINGLE headlamps!

Bill W