Re: [FWDLK] Schrempp OUT!!! and reasons...

Re: [FWDLK] Schrempp OUT!!! and reasons...

Bill is essentially correct with his facts but the one thing not addressed which
underlies all of the recent problems at DCX is the vast cultural differences
between the American and German styles of conducting business causing problems
as a direct result of the acquisition. Many previously loyal employees feel that
they were duped and decisions implemented since the "merger" have proved their
fears to be true. Changes were made in internal policies re benefits as well as
engineering protocol which only fueled dissension in Auburn Hills.

Since almost all of the top managers that made Chrysler a success in the 90s are
now gone, many people remaining are looking for ways out either through
retirement or moves to other companies. That being said concerning the current
state of affairs, now consider what would have happened if Chrysler had
continued on its own.

Yes, Plymouth would have been dropped - that decision had long been in the plans
because the division wasn't generating profits. Prowler helped generate showroom
traffic but wasn't bringing in any money. Breeze was an attempt to bolster
revenues but wasn't enough.

Eaton is a brilliant manager with a fine record from GM and his history from
leading Chrysler during his tenure. Even though Lee chose Eaton as CEO he looked
to Lutz as the sparkplug and power to get new products going much as Lee did at
Ford and later at Chrysler when they most needed new products with no money to
develop them - hence the K cars and minivans.  I agree that Lee was overly
confident with his ability to call "styling" shots and the stretched and overly
decorated K derivatives demonstrated that.

But it was Lee who engineered the deal that made Auburn Hills CTC and the LH
cars a reality. None of that would ever have happened without him and had
Chrysler stayed in Highland Park's outdated facilities it surely would have
brought them to demise during the 90s instead of making them the industry
leader.

Kerkorian is a money man and he sure is interested in his investments generating
profits. I don't think he would have enlisted Iacocca to join him in buying
Chrysler only to butcher it up. Remember it was Lee who promoted Gale, Stallkamp
and others in the winning team to remake Chrysler into a design leader and the
low cost producer in the industry.

Nothing was said about manufacturing decisions regarding Plymouth branding or PT
production capacity. However, those business decisions were made based on facts
and had nothing to do with the Germans as you correctly stated.  But for
Chrysler to have invested hundreds of millions of their reserves into additional
capacity for the PT before it was shown to be a success would have been foolish
at the time. (remember these product decisions must be made years and months
prior to new vehicles being made available to the public). This was a radical
car and although it drew raves from the press & car shows there was no guarantee
it would be the sales success that it is.

Part of the financial problems at Chrysler today are - in fact the result of
decisions made in Stuttgart. Schrempp invested millions of Chrysler's reserve
money into Bombardier's transportation business resulting in huge losses to DCX
instead of continuing new product programs in Auburn Hills. We all have heard
about Chrysler's new hemi being placed on hold as well as other new vehicle
programs. Schrempp also bought 34% ownership of Mitsubishi (riddled with debt, a
$700 million loss for the first half of fiscal 2001 and facing charges of hiding
vehicle problems since 1971 which could cost DCX additional millions). In his
spending spree Schrempp also bought Canadian Western Star trucks, Detroit Diesel
and a 10% interest in Hyundai.

Is it any wonder there is little money left to help Chrysler through the current
industry downturn?

Now that new DCX CEO Dieter Zetsche has arrived - and promptly fired three of
the last remaining execs of the 90s team (Ted Cunningham EVP, Tony Cervone VP
and Kathy Oswald SVP - the highest ranking women in the auto industry) we shall
see what the new all German regime will do for a turn around in the next few
weeks. Stay tuned!