Re: [FWDLK] I NEED YOUR ADVISE ON THIS ONE?

Re: [FWDLK] I NEED YOUR ADVISE ON THIS ONE?

Well, that timeline is  ahead the of the  auto restoration program, which started in 1976.  I see the 'ol department head of the technology department ("industrial arts", back then) every once in awhile, and may have a chance to ask him if he remembers anything about it.

Can you scan and send picts of the car, if it's not too much trouble?  Might help to jog some memories.....

Tim

Ray Jones wrote:

Hi Tim;
It was in the mid-late 60's. I don't remember any names or have any records other than some picts of the car. Young and dumb then. I do remember that they paid for the parts by copying Hurst shifters and selling them. Or so he said.

I only mentioned it as I had never heard of any other eng/trans combo like this one. The really neat part of the deal was they also blueprinted the Hemi and it would idle at 100 rpm or slower. you could watch each fanblade pass by. I don't think it ever made 1 complete revolution before starting up. I only used 2nd and 3rd as 1st was just not needed with all the torque the Hemi put out. The neat thing about the trans was that you could use it as a floorshift or column shift just by changing the top. I also had a LaSalle trans in a 39 Buick Opera Conv Coupe I installed a 55 Buick eng into and converted to open driveline. Sold it and all the orig parts to a guy who restored it.
I bought the Duece from the guy who went to the college and did the work and 5 years or so later sold it back to him. $600. or so, I think! One of my big car mistakes, I wish I'd have kept that one. I ran the 2 bbl on it and when the "neat guys" down at the local street-rod club would ask why I didn't have more carbs, I just told them to show me that I needed more....no one ever did. That weight to power ratio just couldn't be beat.

Thanks for asking, and let me know if you can track down any thing about the car. It's been way too long for anyone to still be there I guess.
Ray