Re: [FWDLK] Do People Still Restore Cars ?

Re: [FWDLK] Do People Still Restore Cars ?

Been a while since I posted, but I have been following this topic as well as the "brakes" topic for a while and just felt I needed to interject.

My OPINION is that when you purchase a car, it is up to YOU to decide what you are going to do with it. Be it a 100% concourse restoration, a clean driver, JUST a driver, or a parts car (or whatever!). That decision can only come from one person, and that is you. Yes, others are equally entitled to their opinion's, but that doesn't mean that one should "put down" or "chastise" another for their plan of action with THEIR car.

I myself have been ever so slowly restoring my 1958 Plymouth. Many of you know me and my car and also know my plans for it. It's a fairly rare car in and of itself with the options she was born with, but that isn't going to stop me from restoring the car MY way. I am a purist at heart, but my wallet says I'm a "restifier". What I can afford, what I want, and what will actually happen is the way my car will be restored.

It's only original once and as such, is just another restoration once it is fixed. It's in the level of quality, attention to detail, modifications, etc that set us apart. Personally, I don't want a 100 point show car to drive (since that is actually an oxy-moron), but a nice represented driver is more my speed. I love looking at other cars that are, in fact, 100 point cars, but Iike "behind the wheel" time. I have a very good friend of mine that built a Hemi Cuda Convertible Clone that is a 100% legit clone of what COULD have been purchased in 1971. He really went over the top all the way down to date coded this and that and NOS parts galore. That being the case, it has since become a show car and he isn't able to enjoy it as his original intentions were. He does show it, and has won many awards. It is, however, HIS choice that he isn't driving it though. He would like to keep it as nice as possible so that hopefully it will command that highest dollar possible. Me, on the other hand, could never do that level of restoration to my car. I want it to be safe for me as well as my family to cruise in, fun to be in and around, and enjoying for those that see it. I don't want a 40 year old radiator hose to break loose on me. I don't want a 45 year old interior fabric that will not withstand the tiny shoes of my 1 year old daughter or the nails of my 14 year old daughter. I want them to buckle up in the Belvy as they do in any of our other cars, and have it stop before being involved in an accident.

I look at it this way, How many other FWDLK cars do you see at local shows? My bet is not many. Carlisle was the mother load of FWDLK for sure (boy, what a great time! Sure was nice finally getting to put face to the names I have talked to for so long! Cant wait till next year!!!), but your average weekend cruise night isn't going to even come close. Most people that see my `61 DeSoto don't even notice at first that it isn't even finished yet. There are MAJOR trim pieces still not installed. The engine bay hasn't been touched since November 30th, 1960. The dash looks like a cat sharpened it's claws on it. But most that see it don't care. They are just in awe of the car itself. To see one in person, to be able to sit behind the wheel for a minute and get that "Before you decide" ringing through their head. Appearance is nice, but not the "be all end all". 100 point show cars are nice, but not everyone has to do it.

Bottom line (whew, that was a lot of typing!!), it's your car. YOU restore it the way YOU want it. Get others opinions if you like. Get all the parts you can afford. Go as far as you can or want to. It's yours. Just remember, we are not really owners of these fine cars. We are merely caretakers. We will not be here forever, but well taken care of cars, very well could be. Just make sure you leave the next "caretaker" something to admire, with whatever their taste's may be.

Ok, back to shirt printing... anyone want a FWDLK shirt? LOL!!

Take care, and have a FIN-tastic week!