Re: [FWDLK] Anyone had a drum out of balance?

Re: [FWDLK] Anyone had a drum out of balance?

When I sold some Buick aluminum brake drums a while back, they had metal
pieces attached to the outside towards the edge of the drum face - steel or
cast, not aluminum.   The only thing I can conclude is these were some kind
of balancing weights - both had them and both were different from the other.

So I would then tend to assume it's possible for a drum to be out of
balance.  The question would be how do you then balance them again.   I'm
not sure, and it's not a problem I've ever seen or heard of - even on some
cars that had rear drums rotted and with chunks out of part of the edges.

On the bright side, you can use one drum, swap, test, if it's still there
swap the loose one to the other side, try again.

Are the tie rod ends in good shape?  I had a set that looked decent but were
bad and my tires were scalloped from it.  When I swapped the tires side for
side to try to do a temp correction on a pull, it pulled the opposite way so
bad I could barely drive the car.  But if those are messed up, it might
cause some shake.  Only other thing I could see to check is the rubber in
the engine and trans mounts, but that would make it vibrate all the time I'd
think, or at the same RPM range regardless of speed - same goes on a
harmonic balancer problem - and I wouldnt think those would be felt in the
wheel.

Bill K.